|Time: 5 mins
Suggested portion: 300 ml
Yield: about 600 ml
"This is a nutrient-dense protein shake, high in monounsaturated fats, which are essential for cardiovascular health. Peanuts, cashews and macadamia nuts also contain a good spread of vitamins and minerals. However, macadamia nuts have a very high fat content so this nut is a significant source of calories. For kids on restrictive diets, this is a great alternative to a dairy milkshake and a good way of increasing calorie intake. Bananas are a good source of prebiotics that help probiotics thrive and is thus useful for B vitamin and mineral absorption." – Hannah Kaye
- 1 cup (250 ml) organic unsweetened soya, rice or nut milk
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) macadamia (works best), cashew or smooth peanut butter (100% natural and additive-free)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 4 ice blocks
- Blitz all the ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
- Soya-free, if using nut or rice milk (opting for rice milk will result in a higher GI)
- It’s a good idea to freeze bananas before they become over-ripe. Peel, slice and store them in an airtight container in the freezer. This way you will always have them on hand for smoothies and drinks like these